Thursday, October 29

Remodel: Week One

A week ago we received the keys to our new house. First thing Saturday morning, we started ripping out carpets and scrubbing down walls. What would we have done with out The Schow men? They came in and kept us going, hauling out carpet and scraping floors.

While we like the house, it is a thing of potential, not a polished stone. As we pulled the carpet out the stench of cat urine permeated our noses. We knew she had cats, but we had no idea how neglected they were--eeewwuu! I've been doing my research--vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, rinse, lather and repeat. I'll be scrubbing sub flooring for the next few weeks.

One thing I finally got right--It's funny, since we got married over three years ago we have disagreed on many things, especially paint. I've picked out paint I thought Earl would like, put it on the walls, and then get an either lukewarm reaction or a negative response. In fact, paint led to our first, and really, only marital fight. But this week--against all odds--I painted something Earl liked. I was waiting for the "eh, I guess it's okay," or "uh-uh." But instead I got, "I really like it." I feel like for the first time I got Earl's taste, a little.

So next week, I start painting another room, and Earl and Dad continue to demo the dining room, den and kitchen. The hallway I thought would be nicer if it was opened up more, got opened up. The closet that was in the den, is now connected to the bedroom. It's going to be usable space all the way around.

I've taking pictures, so I'll post when I get them.

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Sue- I can't wait to see the pictures. I wish I was there to play house with you. It sounds like a lot of work, but how exciting! I miss you . Ronda

Jules said...

I know a few schow men, are the one and the same? It's sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but atleast you know all the right people. I know what you mean about the paint thing, I still wouldn't be able to pick out Adam's taste, I usually just let him do what he wants, for some reason I never win the house decor argument. Oh well! I can't wait to come see and I would love to come help too. I don't get out much, but I'm sure I could work out a night with Adam that I could come do something. Are you able to sleep there, or are you still at your Mom's for now?